Bengalla Mining Company is a joint venture between New Hope Group (80%) and Taipower (20%) with a strong track record of achievement. Our focus is on maintaining strong safety, productivity and profitability results. We have a very collaborative team culture and a highly professional and rewarding work environment.
Operational since 1999, Bengalla is located in Muswellbrook in the Hunter Valley NSW, and supplies international markets with approximately ten million tonnes of thermal coal per annum. Bengalla is an open pit coal mine offering a residential lifestyle. The development consent for the operation provides the ability to mine through to 2039. We pride ourselves on the professionalism with which we pursue our goals and our strong links into our community.
The Drill and Blast Engineer is responsible for supporting the delivery of efficient and cost-effective technical drill and blast activities on the Bengalla mine site.
In this role, you will also:
- Design blasts to provide suitable fragmentation for production to achieve planned productivity.
- Produce Drill plans and GPS guidance files for the drilling operation.
- Prepare load sheets and tie in designs for all blasts.
- Minimise costs by suitable explosives selection and efficient planning of drill and blast operations.
- Record all relevant information pertaining to drill and blast activities.
- Consider environmental impacts including fume generation in blast design and scheduling
- Monitor Drill and Blast operations daily and feedback any issues to the relevant superintendent.
- Monitor blasted inventory for any issues and consider in planning process.
- Identify improvement initiatives and threats to the plan and provide support in achieving improvement.
- Communicate designs and schedules through daily interaction with production and with peers.
- Coordinate notifications and signage for road closures due to blasting
What you’ll need
- Ability to respectfully challenge the status quo and drive performance
- Drill and Blast planning experience with well-developed knowledge of relevant mining legislation and industry practice
- High level judgement, decision-making and problem-solving capability
- Professional level written and oral communication skills and numerical analysis and data validation skills
- Sound focus on safety systems and knowledge of relevant Australian OHS Standards
- Strong planning and organising skills
- Computer Skills (spreadsheets, scheduling packages, mine design packages)
- Driver’s License is desirable
- Professional Manner and a ‘Can Do’ Attitude
What we offer
Bengalla values its people and their contribution to the operation. Our well-established employee benefits program offers choice and flexibility to enhance the lifestyle and well-being of our team. With benefits including subsidised health insurance, salary packaging, self-education assistance and gym memberships we make the health, safety and well-being of our people our absolute priority.
This is a great opportunity to join the professional and friendly team at Bengalla Mining Company.
Please feel free to APPLY NOW or contact Phillip Neho on 07 3418 0517 if you wish to have a confidential discussion regarding the role.
Note: Only applicants with the right to work in Australia will be considered for this position.